Najdi forum

marketing-reki slavnih

A pozna kdo kako izjavo slavnih marketinških osebnosti v stilu H. Forda: “Vem, da 1/2 denarja za oglaševanje vržem skozi okno, ampak ne vem, katero polovico.” ali pa kak link ali knjigo, kjer se da to prebrat?
Tnx in lp

“All my concerts had no sounds in them; they were completely silent. People had to make up their own music in their minds!”
Yoko Ono
——————————————————————————–
“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.”
Mahatma Gandhi
“Deals are my art form. Other people paint beautifully on canvas or write wonderful poetry. I like making deals, preferably big deals.”
Donald Trump
“The primacy of the word, basis of the human psyche, that has in our age been used for mind-bending persuasion and brain-washing pulp, disgraced by Gobbles and debased by advertising copy, remains a force for freedom that flies out between all bars.”
Nadine Gordimer
“It is with narrow-souled people as with narrow-necked bottles: the less they have in them the more noise they make in pouring it out.”
Alexander Pope
“There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.”
Oscar Wilde
“Be it furniture, clothes, or health care, many industries today are marketing nothing more than commodities — no more, no less. What will make the difference in the long run is the care and feeding of customers.”
Michael Mescon
“In the absence of traditional authority, advertising has become a kind of social guide. It depicts us in all the myriad situations possible to a life of free choice. It provides ideas about style, morality, behavior.”
Ronald Berman, Advertising and Social Change, 1981.
“The only thing that has ever made me feel old is those times where I allow myself to be predictable.”
Carlos Santana
“If advertising is not an official or state art, it is nonetheless clearly art.”
Michael Schudson
“Advertising is salesmanship mass produced. No one would bother to use advertising if he could talk to all his prospects face-to-face. But he can’t.”
Morris Hite, Adman: Morris Hite’s Methods for Winning the Ad Game, 1988
“If you be pungent, be brief; for it is with words as with sunbeams – the more they are condensed the deeper they burn.”
Robert Southey
“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.”
Francis Bacon
“When two people in business together always agree, one of them is unnecessary.”
Bob Goldenberg
“It is an easy and vulgar thing to please the mob, and no very arduous task to astonish them.”
Charles C. Colton
Life is one big road with lots of signs, so when you’re riding through the rough don’t you complicate your mind.”
Robert Nestor Marley
“The successful people are the ones who can think up things for the rest of the world to keep busy at.”
Don Marquis
“360 degree branding is about…emitting a constant stream of messages to create a lasting impression.”
Shelly Lazarus, Ogilvy & Mather
“Service is the rent we pay for being. It is the very purpose of life, and not something you do in your spare time.”
Marion Wright Edelman
“Superficially, business is based on the principle of exchange. In reality, if this exchange is to be sustained, it requires a relationship of some sort to underpin it.”
Judy van Dam
“Most people think “selling” is the same as “talking”. But the most effective salespeople know that listening is the most important part of their job.”
Roy Bartell
“Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but rather the moments that take your breath away.”
Unknown
“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.”
Mileah Davis
“The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.”
Peter F. Drucker
“As the depth of a tree’s roots determines the tree’s height, the depth of one’s experiences determines the height of one’s success.”
Thembelani Vanqa, Isango Communications
“I passionately hate the idea of being with it, I think an artist has always to be out of step with his time.”
Orson Welles
“The new always carries with it the sense of violation, of sacrilege. What is dead is sacred; what is new, that is, different, is evil, dangerous, or subversive.”
Henry Miller
“There’s a difference between beauty and charm. A beautiful woman is one I notice. A charming woman is one who notices me.”
John Erskine
“We in the industry know that behind every successful screenwriter stands a woman. And behind her stands his wife.”
Groucho Marx
“A man’s delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance. But this is afterward deducted, for the more we look forward to anything the less we enjoy it when it comes.”
Arthur Schopenhauer
“Enthusiasm is that secret and harmonious spirit which hovers over the production of genius, throwing the reader of a book, or the spectator of a statue, into the very ideal presence whence these works have really originated. A great work always leaves us in a state of musing.”
Isaac D’Israeli
“To establish ourselves in the world, we have to do all we can to appear established. To succeed in the world, we do everything we can to appear successful.”
Francois la Rochefoucauld
“There is not one wise man in twenty that will praise himself.”
William Shakespeare
“If you wish in this world to advance your merits you’re bound to enhance; you must stir it and stump it, and blow your own trumpet, or, trust me, you haven’t a chance.”
William S. Gilbert (1836 – 1911)
“One man is equivalent to all Creation. One man is a World in miniature.”
George Jean Nathan
“Every path to a new understanding begins in confusion.”
Mason Cooley
“Being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art…. Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.”
Andy Warhol
“Genius creates, and taste preserves. Taste is the good sense of genius; without taste, genius is only sublime folly.”
Chateaubriand
“Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.”
Mark Twain (1835 – 1910)
“The more I learnt about this cheeky – almost rebellious – company, the more it appealed to me, as it unapologetically pointed to an alternative in a complacent and creatively bankrupt industry. Apple stood for something and had reason for being that wasn’t just about making money.”
Jonathan Ive, Designer of the iMac, iBook and iPod, at college when he used a Mac for the first time
“Denunciations of the manipulativeness of advertisers can unfortunately all too easily be turned on their heads into denunciations of the gullibility of consumers. Both are forms of scapegoating, neither accomplishes anything.”
J.M. Coetzee, Triangular Structures of Desire in Advertising, 1980.
“The deeper problems connected with advertising come less from the unscrupulousness of our ‘deceivers’ than from our pleasure in being deceived, less from the desire to seduce than from the desire to be seduced.”
Daniel J. Boorstin, U.S. historian
“All progress is based upon a universal innate desire of every organism to live beyond its income.”
Samuel Butler
“Consumers build an image [of a brand] as birds build nests. From the scraps and straws they chance upon.”
Jeremy Bullmore
“The real danger from advertising is that it helps to shatter and ultimately destroy our most precious non-material possessions: the confidence in the existence of meaningful purposes of human activity and respect for the integrity of man.”
Paul Sweezy
“The delicate balance between modesty and conceit is popularity.”
Robert Half
“Originality does not consist in saying what no one else has ever said before, but in saying exactly what you think yourself.”
James Stephens, Irish poet and writer (1882-1950).
“The greatest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished.”
George Bernard Shaw
“There is no such thing as a self-made man. We are made up of thousands of others. Everyone who has ever done a kind deed for us, or spoken one word of encouragement to us, has entered into the makeup of our character and our thoughts, as well as our success.”
George Matthew Adams
“Publicity is a great purifier because it sets in action the forces of public opinion, and in this country public opinion controls the courses of the nation.”
Charles Evans Hughes
“A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad.”
Samuel Goldwyn
“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.”
Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel
“In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.”
Andy Warhol
“A gossip is one who talks to you about others; a bore is one who talks to you about himself; and a brilliant conversationalist is one who talks to you about yourself.”
Lisa Kirk
“It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.”
Henry David Thoreau
“To the King’s Theatre, where we saw ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’, which I had never seen before, nor shall ever again, for it is the most insipid ridiculous play that ever I saw in my life. I saw, I confess, some good dancing and some handsome women, which was all my pleasure.”
Samuel Pepys, 29 September 1662, Everybody’s Pepys: The Diary of Samuel Pepys 1660-69, 1972
“Labour was the first price, the original purchase – money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labour, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased.”
Adam Smith, Scottish philosopher and economist, 1723 – 1790.
“Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.”
James Dean
“”… our first priority should be the people who work for the companies, then the customers, then the shareholders. Because if the staff are motivated then the customers will be happy, and the shareholders will then benefit through the company’s success.”
Richard Branson
“If you steal from one author it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many it’s research.”
Wilson Mizner
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts.”
Abraham Lincoln
“Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning.”
Igor Stravinsky
“If they give you ruled paper, write the other way.”
Juan Ramòn Jimènez
“We adore chaos because we love to produce order.”
M. C. Escher
“I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter.”
Blaise Pascal
“On any given Monday I am one sale closer and one idea away from being a Millionaire.”
Larry D. Turner
“It is worth asking why trailers for feature films most often consist of violent and/or sexual clips. The entertainment industry is disingenuous. On one hand it claims that sex and violence have no effect on viewers, and yet it blatantly uses sex and violence to sell its products.”
Dr Michael Rice, educational consultant and former special adviser to the minister of education
“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.”
Henry David Thoreau
“An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail.”
Dr Edwin Land
“If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
Thomas Edison
“Today, journalism is such a persuasive factor in opinion building that no person, group or business can claim immunity or afford to under-estimate the ability of the fourth estate to affect their fortunes – either for better or for worse.”
Gigi van der Riet
“If you can dream it, you can do it.”
Walt Disney
“Don’t be afraid to take a big step when one is indicated. You can’t cross a chasm in two small steps.”
David Lloyd George
“Ah good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.”
Pablo Picasso
“Don’t try to innovate for the future. Innovate for the present!”
Peter Drucker
“The greatest thing to be achieved in advertising, in my opinion, is believability, and nothing is more believable than the product itself.”
Leo Burnett
“Reputation matters because your behind is always behind you”
Happy Masina
“Art is a technique of communication. The image is the most complete technique of all communication.”
Claus Oldenburg
“You’ve got to find some way of saying it without saying it.”
Duke Ellington
“I haven’t failed, I’ve found 10,000 ways that don’t work.”
Benjamin Franklin
“It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.”
Herman Melville
“Contentment: The smother of invention.”
Ethel Mumford
“In the absence of the best, the worst becomes the best.”
Makanyane Joseph Mmopedi
“Advertisers are the interpreters of our dreams – Joseph interpreting for Pharoah. Like the movies, they infect the routine futility of our days with purposeful adventure. Their weapons are our weaknesses: fear, ambition, illness, pride, selfishness, desire, ignorance. And these weapons must be kept as bright as a sword.”
E.G. White, U.S. author & editor, 1936.
“Our job is to sell our clients’ merchandise . . . not ourselves. Our job is to kill the cleverness that makes us shine instead of the product. Our job is to simplify, to tear away the unrelated, to pluck out the weeds that are smothering the product message.”
William Bernbach
“It takes courage to be creative. Just as soon as you have a new idea, you are a minority of one.”
E. Paul Torrance
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist when you grow up.”
Pablo Picasso
“The secret of true genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm.”
Aldous Huxley
“Lack of money is no obstacle. Lack of an idea is an obstacle.”
Ken Hakuta
“When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.”
Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)
“Sometimes you gotta create what you want to be a part of.”
Geri Weitzman
“Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.”
Gucci family slogan
“Quality isn’t something that can be argued into an article or promised into it. It must be put there. If it isn’t put there, the finest sales talk in the world won’t act as a substitute.”
C.G. Campbell
“A good newspaper, I suppose, is a nation talking to itself.”
Arthur Miller
“The Internet holds immense potential as a marketing tool. As an interactive medium that reaches around the world, it promises an interpersonalization of advertising. As mass communication becomes mass-interpersonal communication, marketing efforts become more efficient, effective, and extensive.”
Jef I. Richards, Legal Potholes on the Information Superhighway, 1997.
“If commerce is the engine of our economy, then advertising is the spark. Responsible advertisers are the drivers who keep us on the right track, leading to a richer, more benevolent society.”
Brian Philcox, 1991.
“The first thing one must do to succeed in advertising is to have the attention of the reader. That means to be interesting. The next thing is to stick to the truth, and that means rectifying whatever’s wrong in the merchant’s business. If the truth isn’t tellable, fix it so it is. That is about all there is to it.”
John E. Powers, 19th Century copywriter.
“Advertising is criticized on the ground that it can manipulate consumers to follow the will of the advertiser. The weight of evidence denies this ability. Instead, evidence supports the position that advertising, to be successful, must understand or anticipate basic human needs and wants and interpret available goods and services in terms of their want-satisfying abilities. This is the very opposite of manipulation.”
Charles H. Sandage, Some Institutional Aspects of Advertising, 1972.
“I have learned that trying to guess what the boss or the client wants is the most debilitating of all influences in the creation of good advertising.”
Leo Burnett
“The easiest kind of relationship is with ten thousand people, the hardest is with one.”
Joan Baez
“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect, but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.”
Carl Jung (1875-1961)
“Publicity is the life of this culture – in so far as without publicity capitalism could not survive – and at the same time publicity is its dream.”
John Berger, Ways of Seeing, 1980.
“I believe in capitalism as the best way to improve the lives of most of the people of South Africa, and advertising is the petrol that fuels a capitalist system.”
Ross Chowles
“Television is the first truly democratic culture – the first culture available to everyone and entirely governed by what the people want. The most terrifying thing is what people do want.”
Clive Barnes, in New York Times.
“Historians and archaeologists will one day discover that the ads of our time are the richest and most faithful reflections that any society ever made of its entire range of activities.”
Marshall McLuhan, Canadian communications theorist, 1911-1980.
“The real risks for any artist are taken in pushing the work to the limits of what is possible, in the attempt to increase the sum of what it is possible to think.”
Salman Rushdie
“Advertising research is one-half frustration, one-half exclamation point, and one-half question-mark. If this adds up to more than 100 percent, it proves that mathematics and research sometimes gives confusing results.”
Michael P. Ryan, of Allied Chemical Corp, 1968.
“You must often make erasures if you mean to write what is worthy of being read a second time; and don’t labor for the admiration of the crowd, but be content with a few choice readers.”
Horace
“If you can, be first. If you can’t be first, create a new category in which you can be first.”
Al Ries & Jack Trout, The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing, 1994
“The Great Idea in advertising is far more than the sum of the recognition scores, the ratings and all the other superficial indicators of its success; it is in the realm of myth, to which measurements cannot apply.”
Leo Bogart
“As you travel down life’s highway…whatever be your goal, you cannot sell a doughnut without acknowledging the hole.”
Harold J. Shayler
“Art is the lie that reveals the truth.”
Pablo Picasso
“I don’t like giving names to generations. It’s like trying to read the song title on a record that’s spinning.”
Ian Williams
“A big idea is like a hill-town. It is a stronghold, a focal point, something that people can orientate themselves by, while the cities on the plain fight it out below. We’re surrounded by blurred messages. Anything strong and pure will stand out.”
Robert Jones
“Rather than seeing digital marketing as an “add on”, marketers need to view it as a discipline that complements the communication mix and should be used to generate leads, get registrations or drive sales, rather than simply generating awareness.”
Charisse Tabak, of Acceleration Media, 2002.
“If it doesn’t sell, it isn’t creative.”
David Ogilvy
“If practice makes perfect, and nothing is perfect, then why practice?”
Dan Moatshe
“Marketing is not a stage for humour. If you use humour in your marketing, people will recall your funny joke, but not your compelling offer. If you use humour, your campaign will be funny the first and maybe the second time. After that, the humour will be grating and will hinder the very concept that makes marketing successful – repetition.”
Jay Conrad Levinson, Guerilla Marketing, 1989.
“The spectator-buyer is meant to envy herself as she will become if she buys the product. She is meant to imagine herself transformed by the product into an object of envy for others, an envy which will then justify her loving herself. One could put this another way: the publicity image steals her love of herself as she is, and offers it back to her for the price of the product.”
John Berger, Ways of Seeing, 1980.
“Are you a journalist who sells his principles in the markets of slaves and who fattens on gossip and misfortune in crime? If so, you are like a revenous vulture preying upon rotting carrion.”
Kahlil Gibran
“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.”
Zig Ziglar
“Forget words like ‘hard sell’ and ‘soft sell.’ That will only confuse you. Just be sure your advertising is saying something with substance, something that will inform and serve the consumer, and be sure you’re saying it like it’s never been said before.”
William Bernbach
“What the customer demands is last year’s model, cheaper. To find out what the customer needs you have to understand what the customer is doing as well as he understands it. Then you build what he needs and you educate him to the fact that he needs it.”
Nicholas Dewolf
“Money is good for bribing yourself through the inconveniences of life.”
Gottfried Reinhardt
“Media owners need to rethink the way they’re presenting themselves, taking care not to perpetuate the idea of racially-based media. South Africans – both black and white – are consuming media brands because the content resonates with them, and not because they’re the same colour.”
Mike Siluma, Jacaranda 94.2 CEO, quoted in The Media, Issue 9, June 2003
“The freedom of the press works in such a way that there is not much freedom from it.”
Grace (Patricia) Kelly
“The business that considers itself immune to the necessity for advertising sooner or later finds itself immune to business.”
Derby Brown
“Research is the process of going up alleys to see if they are blind.”
Marston Bates
“Design is the contrast of the core of limitations therefore there are no boundaries. It is simply an interpretation of creativity.”
Jenaiha Woods
“The creator is both detached and committed, free and yet ensnared, concerned but not too much so. If motivation is too strong the person is blinded; if the objective situation is too tightly structured, the person sees none of its alternative possibilities.”
Robert Macleod
“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I experience and I understand.”
Confucius
“Worry not that no one knows of you; seek to be worth knowing.”
Confucius
“Nobody counts the number of ads you run; they just remember the impression you make.”
William Bernbach
“Great individuals are not only popular themselves, but they give popularity to whatever they touch.”
Fournier
“Never sacrifice money that can be used for messaging and production values merely to buy reach and frequency. A whole rack of stuff from the thrift shop does not equal one great outfit in anything except cost.”
Bob Killian
“To a philosopher all news, as it is called, is gossip, and they who edit and read it are old women over their tea.”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854.
“I have learned that you can’t have good advertising without a good client, that you can’t keep a good client without good advertising, and no client will ever buy better advertising than he understands or has an appetite for.”
Leo Burnett
“I know quite certainly that I have no special gift. Curiosity, obsession and dogged endurance have brought me my ideas.”
Albert Einstein
“There was a time when the reader of an unexciting newspaper would remark, ‘How dull is the world today!’ Nowadays he says, ‘What a dull newspaper!”
Daniel J. Boorstin, The Image, 1962.
“Acting is pretending that you’re not pretending when you’re actually pretending.”
Ted Danson
“You need to build addiction. Once you get users hooked to a service, price sensitivity changes.”
Tomi Ahonen
“All your products are ephemeral. Only your customers are real.”
Don Peppers & Martha Rogers, The One-To-One Future.
“Clearly no group can as an entity create ideas. Only individuals can do this. A group of individuals may, however, stimulate one another in the creation of ideas.”
Estill I. Green
“Never measure the height of a mountain, until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was.”
Dag Hammarskjold
“Every memorable act in the history of the world is a triumph of enthusiasm. Nothing great was ever achieved without it because it gives any challenge or any occupation, no mater how frightening or difficult, a new meaning. Without enthusiasm you are doomed to a life of mediocrity but with it you can accomplish miracles.”
Og Mandino
“Experience praises the most happy the one who made the most people happy.”
Karl Marx
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”
Edward Abbey
“We have always found that people are most productive in small teams with tight budgets, time lines and the freedom to solve their own problems.”
John Rollwagen
“Make the iron hot by striking it.”
Oliver Cromwell
“There is no doubt that creativity is the most important human resource of all. Without creativity, there would be no progress, and we would be forever repeating the same patterns.”
Edward de Bono
“Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise.”
Ted Turner
“If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read PRESIDENT CAN’T SWIM.”
Lyndon B Johnson
“A theme is a memory aid, it helps you through the presentation just as it also provides the thread of continuity for your audience.”
Dave Carey
“It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning.”
Salvador Dali
“The ideas that come out of most brainstorming sessions are usually superficial, trivial, and not very original. They are rarely useful. The process, however, seems to make uncreative people feel that they are making innovative contributions and that others are listening to them.”
A. Harvey Block
“Once you get people laughing, they’re listening and you can tell them almost anything.”
Herbert Gardner
“If you have an important point to make, don’t try to be subtle or clever. Use the pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time; a tremendous whack.”
Winston Churchill
“To spell out the obvious is often to call it in question.”
Eric Hoffer
“The reward of art is not fame or success but intoxication: that is why so many bad artists are unable to give it up.”
Cyril Connolly
“No one should drive a hard bargain with an artist.”
Ludwig Van Beethoven
“Business has only two basic functions – marketing and innovation.”
Peter Drucker
“The cock that crows in the morning belongs to one household but his voice is the property of the neighborhood.”
Chinua Achebe, Anthills of the Savannah, 1987.
“Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.”
John Lennon
“Mega-bestseller readers want to be able to read and read and read – they do not want to ponder any truly unexpected revelations. Reality might lie out there, but that is not why they are reading.”
Norman Mailer, The Spooky Art, 2003.
“I would rather be first in a little Iberian village than second in Rome.”
Julius Caesar
“Nobody creates a fad. It just happens. People love going along with the idea of a beautiful pig. It’s like a conspiracy.”
Jim Henson
“No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you’ll see why.”
Mignon Mclaughlin
“Interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.”
Susan Sontag
“When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.”
Jiminy Cricket
“In the 21st century, the database is the marketplace.”
Stan Rapp of MRM Partners Worldwide
“There must be, not a balance of power, but a community of power; not organized rivalries, but an organized peace.”
Woodrow T. Wilson
“I am a beauty because I THINK what my HEART approves; I am a beast because I DO what my BRAIN approves!”
Avinish Jain
“If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it; Every arrow that flies feels the attraction of earth.”
Henry Wadworth Longfellow
“All words are pegs to hang ideas on.”
Henry Ward Beecher
“The more facts you tell, the more you sell. An advertisement’s chance for success invariably increases as the number of pertinent merchandise facts included in the ad increases.”
Dr Charles Edwards
“Learn the rules. Then learn how to change them, and get others to follow.”
Heidi Minx, President, Franky & Minx, Inc.
“Success is the culmination of failures, mistakes, false starts, confusion, and the determination to keep going anyway.”
Nick Gleason, Founder and CEO, CitySoft
“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything.”
Napoleon Bonaparte
“Popularity? It’s glory’s small change.”
Victor Hugo
“Business is like riding a bicycle. Either you keep moving or you fall down.”
Frank Lloyd Wright
“Never let inexperience get in the way of ambition.”
Terry Josephson
“Good wine needs no bush, and perhaps products that people really want need no hard-sell or soft-sell TV push. Why not? Look at pot.”
Ogden Nash
“Where absolute superiority is not attainable, you must produce a relative one at the decisive point by making skillful use of what you have.”
Karl von Clausewitz (1832)
“Write your injuries in dust, your benefits in marble.”
Benjamin Franklin
“Sometimes I’m so sweet even I can’t stand it.”
Julie Andrews
“Honesty is the most single most important factor having a direct bearing on the final success of an individual, corporation, or product.”
Ed Mcmahon
“We are told that talent creates its own opportunities. But it sometimes seems that intense desire creates not only its own opportunities, but its own talents.”
Eric Hoffer
“Dressing with style is akin to issuing a manifesto; dressing fashionably is like signing a petition.”
Jani Allan
“Diplomacy is to do and say the nastiest thing in the nicest way.”
Isaac Goldberg
“We’ve entered a new era of virtuality, where the interpenetration of a plethora of communications media, from CCTV and mobile phones to webcams and cable channels, has created an environment in which never before have so many watched so many others, doing so very little.”
Will Self, novelist/journalist, 2000; quoted in The Media, February 2003.
“A solid strategy wins accounts while a brilliant ad strokes the ego of that particular brand.”
Xoli
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
Calvin Coolidge
“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”
Vincent van Gogh
“Regardless of how you feel inside, always try to look like a winner. Even if you are behind, a sustained look of control and confidence can give you a mental edge that results in victory.”
Arthur Ashe
“Life leaps like a geyser for those who drill through the rock of inertia.”
Alexis Carrel
“Today’s idol is, after all, tomorrow’s cooking show presenter.”
Andrew Miller, “Pop eats itself – but who will get sick?”, media.toolbox, 10 February 2003
“How hard it is to make your thoughts look anything but imbecile fools when you paint them with ink on paper.”
Olive Schreiner
“The airwaves should belong to the people. If a TV signal comes trespassing onto my property, I should be free to do any damn thing I want with it, and it’s none of the government’s business.”
Anonymous, quoted by Charles Platt in ‘Satellite Pirate’, Wired magazine August 1994
“What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists … and it becomes available only when you are in that state of mind in which you know exactly what you want … and are fully determined not to quit until you get it.”
Alexander Graham Bell
“If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost. That is where they should be. Now put the foundation under them.”
Henry David Thoreau
“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
Robert Louis Stevenson
“Never before the advent of radio did advertising have such a golden opportunity to make an ass out of itself. Never before could advertising be so insistent and so unmannerly and so affront its audience.”
William J. Cameron, director of PR for Ford Motor Company, 1938.
“Creative without strategy is called ‘art.’ Creative with strategy is called ‘advertising.”
Jef I. Richards
“We live in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.”
Alfred E.Neumann, (c. 1956 – )
“There’s nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.”
Peter F. Drucker
“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
“One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”
Andre Gide
“Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on Simplicity.”
Plato
“I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.”
Muhammad Ali
“There is always a heavy demand for fresh mediocrity. In every generation the least cultivated taste has the largest appetite.”
Paul Gauguin
“The advertising man is a liaison between the products of business and the mind of the nation. He must know both before he can serve either.”
Glenn Frank
“None of our men are “experts.” We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job. A man who knows a job sees so much more to be done than he has done, that he is always pressing forward and never gives up an instant of thought to how good and how efficient he is. Thinking always ahead, thinking always of trying to do more, brings a state of mind in which nothing is impossible. The moment one gets into the “expert” state of mind a great number of things become impossible.”
Henry Ford, Sr.
“Businesses that reduce marketing investment lose customers to those that market aggressively. In history, during lean times, farmers starved rather than eating the crops they needed for the next year’s seed.”
John Houston, managing director of PR firm Houston Associates
“Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats.”
Howard Aiken
“Seventy percent of success in life is showing up.”
Woody Allen
“They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.”
Edgar Allan Poe, ”Eleanora”.
“The only way to keep on top of creativity internationally, is to be part of it internationally.”
Peet Pienaar, Creative Director of daddy buy me a pony
“The very first law in advertising is to avoid the concrete promise and cultivate the delightfully vague.”
Bill Cosby
“Society drives people crazy with lust and calls it advertising.”
John Lahr
“I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up.”
Mark Twain
“As society becomes more complex and opaque, as social processes seem more impersonal and autonomous, and as elites of ‘experts’ become more annoying, more people are tempted to think that some ‘they’ is manipulating ‘us’, using, among other dark arts, advertising.”
George F. Will, syndicated columnist, 1996.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
Aristotle
“Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.”
Carl Sandberg, 1878 – 1967.
“Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.”
Nathaniel Hawthorne
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”
Anais Nin
“You aren’t wealthy until you have something money can’t buy.”
Garth Brooks
“Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it.”
Salvador Dali
“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.”
Bill Gates, Business @ the Speed of Thought.
“Today they build studios with almost complete isolation on each musician. They sit in little cages and listen on headphones. In my opinion, that’s not so good for the creative process. We used to gather around the piano, run over the tunes a few times, and the musicians would get ideas for fills or for rhythm licks, and that was more fun. I know that still goes on, but it’s not the same.”
Chet Atkins
“Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television.”
Rita Mae Brown
“A Porsche will always look like a Porsche. My grandfather took these shapes from nature, so the head lamps of the 911 maybe look a little like the eyes of a frog, but it comes from nature, and the best shapes are from nature, so why change?”
Ferdinand Alexander Porsche
“It is not easy to describe the present position of legal opinion on advertising and free speech. Only a poet can capture the essence of chaos.”
R. H. Coase, Advertising and Free Speech, 1977.
“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.”
Helen Keller
“It is the eye of ignorance that assigns a fixed and unchangeable color to every object; beware of this stumbling block.”
Paul Gauguin
“Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. And most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if nothing had happened.”
Sir Winston Churchill
“Television is chewing gum for the eyes.”
Frank Lloyd Wright
“Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.”
Kahlil Gibran
“Your brand’s power lies in dominance. It is better to have 50% of one market, instead of 10% of five markets.”
Al Ries
“To be effective marketers, sometimes marketers must resist the guilt feelings that come from spending money when they can’t make a direct correlation between promotional money spent and goods sold.”
Stern Dixon, President of MarketComm.
“The product that will not sell without advertising will not sell profitably with advertising.”
Albert Lasker, head of Lord & Thomas advertising agency (later known as Foote, Cone & Belding).
“Advertising people who ignore research are as dangerous as generals who ignore decodes of enemy signals.”
David Ogilvy, Ogilvy on Advertising, 1983.
“I might disagree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”
Voltaire, 1694 – 1778.
“Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting.”
Christopher Morley
“The trade of advertising is now so near to perfection that it is not easy to propose any improvement. But as every art ought to be exercized in due subordination to the public good, I cannot but propose it as a moral question to these masters of the public ear, whether they do not sometimes play too wantonly with our passions.”
Dr. Samuel Johnson, English author, 1759.
“When you have a diverse marketing profession you will see diverse marketing. You will see people asserting themselves. Creativity thrives on diversity. We need more diversity, because in the end it can only benefit us.”
Mpho Makwana, CEO: Saatchi & Saatchi & head of ACA
“The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.”
Joseph Joubert, Pensées, 1842.
“If you’re photographing in color you show the color of their clothes – if you use black and white, you will show the color of their soul.”
Author Unknown
“The most unprofitable item ever manufactured is an excuse.”
Brad Butler, Xposure advertising
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”
Mark Twain
“If an ad campaign is built around a weak idea – or as is so often the case, no idea at all – I don’t give a damn about how good the execution is, it’s going to fail.”
Morris Hite, Morris Hite’s Methods for Winning the Ad-Game, 1988.
“Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten”
Gucci family motto
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.”
Dr. Theodore Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
“We are all voyeurs to one degree or another, including me, but with fame comes the predatory prowl of a carrion press that has an insatiable appetite for salaciousness and abhors being denied access to anyone, from pimps to presidents (a journey that becomes shorter every year), and, confused and resentful because it can’t get what it wants, resorts to inventing stories about you because it is part of a culture whose most pressing moral imperative is that anything is acceptable if it makes money.”
Marlon Brando, Songs My Mother Taught Me, 1994
“It takes a lot of imagination to be realistic, because reality is so much more than we imagine.”
Alpha Dog Lo
“A film is a petrified fountain of thought.”
Jean Cocteau
“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.”
Michelangelo
“As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world… as in being able to remake ourselves.”
Mahatma Gandhi
“Whosoever commands the trade of the world, commands the riches of the world and hence the world itself.”
Sir Walter Raleigh
“Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.”
Scott Adams
“Ads seem to work on the very advanced principle that a small pellet or pattern in a noisy, redundant barrage of repetition will gradually assert itself. Ads push the principle of noise all the way to the plateau of persuasion. They are quite in accord with the procedures of brain-washing. This depth principle of onslaught on the unconscious may be the reason why.”
Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media: The extensions of man, 1964.
“The way to do research is to attack the facts at the point of greatest astonishment.”
Celia Green, The Decline and Fall of Science
“Advertisements are now so numerous that they are very negligently perused, and it is therefore become necessary to gain attention by magnificence of promises, and by eloquences sometimes sublime and sometimes pathetic.”
Dr. Samuel Johnson, English author
“I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center.”
Kurt Vonnegut
“Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday …”
Dale Carnegie
“I am one who believes that one of the greatest dangers of advertising is not that of misleading people, but that of boring them to death.”
Leo Burnett
“The first rule of any technology used in a business is that automation applied to an efficient operation will magnify the efficiency. The second is that automation applied to an inefficient operation will magnify the inefficiency.”
Bill Gates
“There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.”
Winston Churchill
“I possess so many words in my native language that I ought rather to complain of not understanding things than of lacking for words to express my thoughts properly.”
Leonardo da Vinci, Quaderni, II, 16r.
“I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people’s accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man’s failures.”
Earl Warren
“Properly practiced creativity MUST result in greater sales more economically achieved. Properly practiced creativity can lift your claims out of the swamp of sameness and make them accepted, believed, persuasive, urgent.”
William Bernbach, quoted in Bill Bernbach said, 1989.
“When you try to formalize or socialize creative activity, the only sure result is commercial constipation . . . . The good ideas are all hammered out in agony by individuals, not spewed out by groups.”
Charles Browder, president of BBDO, 1957.
“If you don’t get noticed, you don’t have anything. You just have to be noticed, but the art is in getting noticed naturally, without screaming or without tricks.”
Leo Burnett
“It is insight into human nature that is the key to the communicator’s skill. For whereas the writer is concerned with what he puts into his writings, the communicator is concerned with what the reader gets out of it. He therefore becomes a student of how people read or listen.”
William Bernbach, quoted in Bill Bernbach said, 1989.
“Knowledge of history frees us to be contemporary.”
Lynn White, Jr.
“Commercial society regards people as bundles of appetites, a conception that turns human beings inside out, leaving nothing to be regarded as inherently private. Commercial society finds unintelligible the idea that anything – an emotion, activity, or product – is too ‘intimately personal’ for uninhibited commercial treatment.”
George Will, 1975
“It takes a big idea to attract the attention of consumers and get them to buy your product. Unless your advertising contains a big idea, it will pass like a ship in the night. I doubt if more than one campaign in a hundred contains a big idea.”
David Ogilvy, Ogilvy on Advertising, 1985.
“The list of sins committed by advertising is limited only by the creativity of its critics.”
Jerry Kirkpatrick, A Philosophic Defense of Advertising, 1986.
“The sale most often goes to the most interested party.”
Steve Chandler, 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself.
“This war will not be over by the next commercial break.”
US spokeperson talking to reporters during the Gulf War
“Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favour.”
Robert Frost, The Black Cottage, 1914.
“The label used to be educational – what this product is and how you use it. Now it’s aspirational – what does the product do for me and how does the brand make me feel?”
Martin Searl, brand development director for Tiger Brands
“To communicate with real people out there I believe that creative minds are basically like a camera that walks around and takes in what you see around you, and we feed it back to people. That’s what makes it real. That’s what makes it easy to communicate with those people in a very unique way. So creatively to now look within that and speak within that, to those unique people, or wonderfully South African people… People call it South African advertising – well, it should be like all advertising, just communicating with the right people and in there finding the creativity.”
Francois de Villiers, FCB Cape Town creative director, in an interview on SAfm’s Media Digest
“The secret of all effective originality in advertising is not the creation of new and tricky words and pictures, but one of putting familiar words and pictures into new relationships.”
Leo Burnett
“I tend to interview only one person, I like it to be a writer, a thinker – I hate to do politicians and journalists.”
John Simpson, BBC World Affairs Editor
“There is no such thing as a Mass Mind. The Mass Audience is made up of individuals, and good advertising is written always from one person to another. When it is aimed at millions it rarely moves anyone.”
Fairfax Cone
“Just because your ad looks good is no insurance that it will get looked at. How many people do you know who are impeccably groomed . . . but dull?”
William Bernbach
“Your most effective marketing tool may be your own customer list, but you’d better make sure you have one. A lot of people think they can just use the list of companies they send bills to. Wrong. That’s a billing list. If you want a marketing list, you have to generate one, and that means including the information a marketer needs, which is a lot different from the information a credit manager needs.”
Ernan Roman
“Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes
“Democratic nations must try to find ways to starve the terrorist and the hijacker of the oxygen of publicity on which they depend.”
Margaret Thatcher
“In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.”
Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel
“In the next X years, billions of dollars worth of news, information, entertainment and what I like to call ‘The Artist Formerly Known As Advertising’ are going to do a full 180. That is, a very large proportion of these media functions will no longer be delivered top-down, as in the broadcast model, but will be coming bottom-up from creative individuals on the Internet. X may be two years or five years or ten — the question is not if but when.”
Christopher Locke, Gonzo Marketing
“The human race has had long experience and a fine tradition in surviving adversity. But we now face a task for which we have little experience, the task of surviving prosperity.”
Alan Gregg
“In the last couple of weeks I have seen the ads for the Wonder Bra. Is that really a problem in this country? Men not paying enough attention to women’s breasts?”
Jay Leno
“The ease with which major companies, both local and international, have renamed themselves and carried on business as if nothing had happened suggests that the value of a name, at least among sophisticated consumers, is no more than the cost of the advertising necessary to create awareness.”
Tony Koenderman, Financial Mail columnist
“An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.”
Victor Hugo, ‘Histoire d’un crime,’ 1852
“What’s my return on investment on e-commerce? Are you crazy? This is Columbus in the New World. What was his ROI?”
Andrew Grove, Intel Chairman
“In a country like ours we only have to look at our past, to realise that our future is one of diversity. If we do not have the initiative to use this to our advantage, then we will fail to provide the client with advertising that works.”
Justin Atkins – Creative Director, ADdictive Advertising & Marketing
“Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for.”
Ray Bradbury
“Within the business world, the environment and sustainable development used to be thought of as risk factors. Today they are increasingly seen as opportunities.”
Bjorn Stigson, President of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
“Like so many other digital designers born in the 70’s, 8-bit computers got me into design. I wasn’t a natural designer but I’ve always been very much into drawing. I used to play video games too. Eventually I started drawing on the computer. 16 colours on a 300×200 screen gives you an eye for detail (and teaches you how to use a grid very effectively). Many of the most beautifully detailed 8-bit games are Japanese and Japanese design in general is a big turn on. They really understand colour.”
Joe de Lange, Redshift Creative Director
“Does anyone know what it means to ‘manage the human imagination’? I don’t know either, but I do know that imagination is the main source of value in the new economy.”
Tom Peters
“Words give you a medium, if you will, and make your message part of the human thought process. Words are as portable as the human being who hears them.”
James J. Jordan, Jr.
“A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.”
William Strunk, Jr., The Elements of Style, 1918.
“There is a huge difference between journalism and advertising. Journalism aspires to truth. Advertising is regulated for truth. I’ll put the accuracy of the average ad in this country up against the average news story any time.”
Jef I. Richards, 1999.
“The productions of all arts are kinds of poetry and their craftsmen are all poets.”
Plato
“There is a great deal of advertising that is much better than the product. When that happens, all that the good advertising will do is put you out of business faster.”
Jerry Della Famina, 1971.
“Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television.”
Rita Mae Brown
“A newspaper consists of just the same number of words, whether there be any news in it or not.”
Henry Fielding
“It used to be that people needed products to survive. Now products need people to survive.”
Nicholas Johnson
“To establish a favorable and well-defined brand personality with the consumer the advertiser must be consistent. You can’t use a comic approach today and a scientist in a white jacket tomorrow without diffusing and damaging your brand personality.”
Morris Hite, quoted in Adman: Morris Hite’s Methods for Winning the Ad Game, 1988
“The new Web must allow me to learn by crossing boundaries. It has to help me reorganise the links in my own brain so I can understand those in another person’s. It has to enable me to keep the frameworks I already have, and relate them to new ones. Meanwhile, we as people will have to get used to viewing as communication rather than argument the discussions and challenges that are a necessary part of this process.”
Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web, 2000
“I never tell one client that I cannot attend his sales convention because I have a previous engagement with another client; successful polygamy depends upon pretending to each spouse that she is the only pebble on your beach.”
David Ogilvy
“Don’t confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller is the other.”
Erma Bombeck
“I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can’t stop eating peanuts.”
Orson Welles
“Television has spread the habit of instant reaction and stimulated the hope of instant results.”
Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr
“Advertising is, actually, a simple phenomenon in terms of economics. It is merely a substitute for a personal sales force – an extension, if you will, of the merchant who cries aloud his wares.”
Rosser Reeves, Reality in Advertising, 1986.
“Words give you a medium, if you will, and make your message part of the human thought process. Words are as portable as the human being who hears them.”
James J. Jordan, Jr.
“Perfection only exists in the figment of one’s imagination, one should rather embrace a spirit of excellence, which moves from a premise that there is always room for improvement.”
Thembelani Vanqa
“A good advertising man is a first-class pragmatist. If he has any basic theorem at all, it is that most advertising is an intrusion upon the time and attention of people; a justifiable one but an intrusion nonetheless. The reader has bought the magazine for something other than the ads . . . Therefore the copywriters undertake to stop him in spite of himself.”
Albert Lynd, quoted in Edward F. Murphy, The Crown Treasury of Relevant Quotations, 1978
“Ads seem to work on the very advanced principle that a small pellet or pattern in a noisy, redundant barrage of repetition will gradually assert itself. Ads push the principle of noise all the way to the plateau of persuasion. They are quite in accord with the procedures of brain-washing. This depth principle of onslaught on the unconscious may be the reason why.”
Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media: The extensions of man, 1964.
“The most important word in the vocabulary of advertising is TEST. If you pretest your product with consumers, and pretest your advertising, you will do well in the marketplace.”
David Ogilvy, 1963.
“When you try to formalize or socialize creative activity, the only sure result is commercial constipation . . . . The good ideas are all hammered out in agony by individuals, not spewed out by groups.”
Charles Browder, former BBDO president, 1957.
“Our offices must always be headed by the kind of men who command respect. Not phonies, zeros or bastards.”
David Ogilvy
“Well I think that, as Africans, we now have to begin to think much more broadly. Try and overlook the borders that constrain our operations. We need to look at economies of scale and I’m looking into the region to see if there are more opportunities that will allow us to do that. And with the Mail & Guardian, particularly, I think what we want to do is to push it from just being a South African paper to make it an African paper. To make it a regional newspaper. I think there’s huge potential as far as that is concerned.”
Zimbabwean publisher Trevor Ncube, the new owner of the Mail & Guardian
“Few of the great creators have bland personalities. They are cantankerous egotists, the kind of men who are unwelcome in the modern corporation.”
David Ogilvy
“If advertising has invaded the judgment of children, it has also forced its way into the family, an insolent usurper of parental function, degrading parents to mere intermediaries between their children and the market. This indeed is a social revolution in our time!”
Jules Henry, Culture against Man,1963.
“Film and video do more for creating an understanding of what South Africa is about than does tourism.”
Dumisani Phakathi, independent filmmaker.
“Advertising is criticized on the ground that it can manipulate consumers to follow the will of the advertiser. The weight of evidence denies this ability. Instead, evidence supports the position that advertising, to be successful, must understand or anticipate basic human needs and wants and interpret available goods and services in terms of their want-satisfying abilities. This is the very opposite of manipulation.”
Charles H. Sandage
“I have learned that it is far easier to write a speech about good advertising than it is to write a good ad.”
Leo Burnett, quoted in 100 LEO’s
“Creativity often consists of merely turning up what is already there. Did you know that right and left shoes were thought up only a little more than a century ago?”
Bernice Fitz-Gibbon, Director of Advertising at Macy’s
“And old Dave, he’d go up to his room, y’understand, put on his green velvet slippers – I’ll never forget – and pick up his phone and call the buyers, and without leaving his room, at the age of eighty-four, he made his living. And when I saw that, I realized that selling was the greatest career a man could want. ‘Cause what could be more satisfying than to be able to go, at the age of eighty-four, into twenty or thirty different cities, and pick up a phone, and be remembered and loved and helped by so many different people? … In those days there was personality in it. There was respect, and comradeship, and gratitude in it. Today, it’s all cut and dried, and there’s no chance for bringing friendship to bear – or personality.”
Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman, 1949.
“The people who can market and innovate content will start to come to the fore. People get hung up on technology, but it’s all about content. The guy in the street doesn’t care how you achieve it.”
Mike Myers, MD of Nokia SA
“It was such a small industry that we both did everything. We had to find the talent, find the songs, take them to radio and promote the concerts ourselves. But it was very important to get out of South Africa because of the terrible political situation, so we decided to try to make a mark internationally.”
Ralph Simon, co-founder of the Zomba recording company, the largest independent label in the world
“Advertising as the printed form of selling would seem . . . ultimately to be justified in so far as it serves as a means of increasing legitimate human wants, as an agency of fair and economic competition in the distribution of goods, and as a stimulant to social progress.”
Daniel Starch, The Principles of Advertising, 1923.
“Our society’s values are being corrupted by advertising’s insistence on the equation: Youth equals popularity, popularity equals success, success equals happiness.”
John Fisher, The Plot to Make You Buy, 1968
“Globally, we are gravitating towards an ‘experience’ economy, where consumers expect and pay for more sophisticated brands that deliver memorable experiences. Dubbed as a new marketing frontier, experiential marketing is claiming considerable mind share and is lending new dimensions to brands, in an era where quality is no longer enough.”
Sarit Reouveni, Samsung SA’s group marketing manager
“It’s formulaic. Successful print ads have strong product benefits conveyed in a visual way, with minimal body copy. Two-thirds of the winners follow this formula, but its success undermines the very notion of creativity.”
Jupiter Drawing Room chairman Graham Warsop on the winning trends for print ads at Cannes.
“The difference in quality between the five percent of film entries that become finalists and those that don’t is enormous. The rest are rubbish. But these are people who genuinely think their work is great. It is quite frightening. The SA work, although few and far between, is rarely embarrassing and mostly fresh, distinctive advertising.”
Gerry Human, CD at HarrisonHuman Bates and SA Cannes Film Judge
“Humour is still the trend but I don’t see everyone making cheery commercials in the current climate. But then, I’m surprised to see anyone making commercials at all.”
Mark Waites, Cannes Lions judge, on film, TV and cinema entries.
“The role of the publisher . . . has changed from seller of a product to consumers, to gatherer of consumer for advertisers . . . The role of the reader changes from sovereign consumer to advertiser bait.”
Vincent P. Norris, 1988.
“Direct Marketing is evolving every day; in some cases, it seems that we have come full circle. A few years ago, there was the rush to telemarketing, and then came the rush to the Internet. Now marketers are starting to understand that all of these – telephone, mail, internet, e-mail, so-called ‘new media’ – are simply alternative channels that enable direct contact with a customer.”
Audrey Price-Dix, Assegai Awards Chairman
“The trouble with us in America isn’t that the poetry of life has turned to prose, but that it has turned to advertising copy.”
Louis Kronenberger
“Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends…. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts. “
Henry David Thoreau
“Nowadays it is the fashion to pretend that no single individual is ever responsible for a successful advertising campaign. This emphasis on “teamwork” is bunkum – a conspiracy of the mediocre majority.”
David Ogilvy
“I think central to good writing of advertising, or anything else, is a person who has developed an understanding of people, an insight into them, a sympathy toward them. I think that that develops more sharply when the writer has not had an easy adjustment to living. So that they have themselves felt the need for understanding, the need for sympathy, and can therefore see that need in other people.”
George Gribbin
“If your advertising goes unnoticed, everything else is academic!”
William Bernbach
“South Africans are passionate about soccer, and productivity is about attitude. When they have a positive incentive to work and now and then have time off to watch (the matches), you have a win-win situation that could boost productivity.”
Jan de Jager, economist at South Africa’s National Productivity Institute
“The “lack of black creatives” is a problem that will never be really solved unless we have black creative directors with the capacity to employ black talent, because there is a lot of it out there. “
Xoli Ntusi, freelance writer
“The one essential, driving aim of the agency’s campaign is not to please and sell you, the public, but to sell the advertiser and get his initialed okay. The public is a poor also-ran.”
Samm Sinclair Baker, The Permissible Lie: The Inside Truth About Advertising, 1968.
“One of the biggest problems facing the (media) industry is the juniorisation of the journalistic skills base. This comes at a time when the South African story is becoming more and more complicated. We have to get our house in order in a very quick way in this sense.”
Mathatha Tsedu, Chairperson South African National Editors Forum.
“We’ve had to convince media strategists, planners and buyers at advertising agencies, along with the marketing people at client level, that they were missing a large chunk of the market by not using the Afrikaans publications.”
Sarel du Plessis, senior GM national advertising for Media24
“I like to think of an idea as a passport between disciplines. It’s important to rid the agency of boundaries, walls and egos so the best thoughts can surface. Great ideas often come from a junior and not the designated team that has worked on a project for a month. There is no formula for getting to a better thought. But if everyone connects more and has a heightened sense of awareness, an idea-rich environment is the result.”
Mark Fisher, group creative director O&M Cape Town
“Creative people should be sales people because design is a function of selling.”
Duan Coetzee, AdMakers CEO.
“PR means telling the truth and working ethically – even when all the media want is headlines and all the public wants is scapegoats. Public relations fails when there is no integrity.”
Viv Segal, MD of Sefin Marketing.
“Visibility is one of the biggest determinants of celebrity, and certainly the poll list reflects that the most popular girls are those who are the most famous.”
FHM editor Neil Bierbaum, speaking about the FHM 100 Sexiest Women in the World poll.
“Anyone can look for fashion in a boutique or history in a museum. The creative explorer looks for history in a hardware store and fashion in an airport. “
Robert Wieder
“Broadcasting the Afrikaans programming has given us the edge and we are now able to satisfy the Afrikaans-speaking viewers, which equates to more than half of the population. We now have the right image, the right programming and the viewers.”
Lucky Masabane, Director at Desert TV, Namibia, 2002.
“The value of an ad is in inverse ratio to the number of times it has been used.”
Raymond Rubicam
“Take a black, Venda-speaking man living in the Limpopo region, and a black, Xhosa-speaking man living in the Eastern Cape. They can’t communicate, they have different backgrounds, different cultures. But if we work according to the race demographic, they’re both just black men. This is a flawed approach – 77% of our population is black. How can all 77% be exactly the same? It’s impossible.”
Paul Haupt, MD of SAARF.
“Any fool can write a bad advertisement, but it takes a genius to keep his hands off a good one.”
David Ogilvy
“In advertising there is a saying that if you can keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs – then you just don’t understand the problem.”
Hugh Malcolm Beville, Jr.
“There is no such thing as a Mass Mind. The Mass Audience is made up of individuals, and good advertising is written always from one person to another. When it is aimed at millions it rarely moves anyone.”
Fairfax Cone, of Foote Cone & Belding, 1981.
“Women are not afraid to stop and ask for help, so they will demand more, in terms of customer touch points, from any product, service or marketing campaign. If you incorporate the higher information-delivery and customer service standards of women into the development of your product or service, or its web site, you are bound to give men a bit more than they even thought to ask for.”
Andrea Learned, Co-Founder and Creative Director of ReachWomen LLC.
“We don’t bring the product to the people, we bring people to the product. We make it available and those who love our style come to us.”
Dietrich Mateschitz, founder of Red Bull energy drinks.
“In terms of analysing where they are, the Lions are faced with a scenario which just about all the rugby teams save the Sharks are facing at the moment, and that’s a schizophrenic brand. The first half of the season’s dominated by Super Twelve. The organisation is asking people to come and support the Cats. Halfway through the season that all changes. It’s a bit like opening a Coke, drinking half of it and discovering you’ve actually got a Pepsi. The product is much the same but really, from a brand loyalty point of view, it can lead to considerable confusion.”
Lee Selsick, MD of brand agency Code
“Consistency is a critical key to your success in sales. Whether you are making telephone calls, visiting clients, or direct marketing you have to hit your numbers everyday. A consistent sales work ethic will make you more successful than the sporadic every third day over-achiever hands down.”
Dennis R. Kyle, International Speaker
“Newspapers, with the exception of Business Day, are trying to be all things to all people. In the quest to grow circulations, many papers focus on large, disparate audiences, rather than servicing any one market really well. They’re in a catch 22 – do they go for smaller, niche markets but contend with shrinking circulations, or do they go for a large circulation to a more nebulous audience?”
Margy le Roux, media director, OMD Media Direction.
“Advertising is found in societies which have passed the point of satisfying the basic animal needs.”
Marion Harper, Jr., president of McCann-Erickson, 1960.
“The more I work in this industry, the more I discover that it is not rocket science or a field reserved for a select or chosen few. I think one of the things that keep a lot of potential creative talents out of publishing is the impression that is often sent out – namely that the business is tougher than it really is.”
Taweni Gondwe, Editor of O Magazine, 2002.
“I don’t expect my flight to produce a generation of astronauts and cosmonauts back home, but I hope it will encourage people to pursue their dreams.”
Mark Shuttleworth, first African in space, 2002.
“In our business, except in media buying, there are few economies of scale. Client perception of creative agencies is that the bigger they are, the worse they are.”
Sir Martin Sorrell, WPP founder and CEO, 2002.
“Advertising research is one-half frustration, one-half exclamation point, and one-half question-mark. If this adds up to more than 100 percent, it proves that mathematics and research sometimes gives confusing results.”
Michael P. Ryan, 1968.
“The question about those aromatic advertisements that perfume companies are having stitched into magazines these days is this: under the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, is smelling up the place a constitutionally protected form of expression?””
Calvin Trillin, American columnist, 1986.
“Examples of exaggeration can be found in almost any advertising medium. The use of the superlative is altogether too prevalent. ‘The finest,’ ‘the best,’ ‘the greatest,’ ‘the purest,’ ‘the most economical,’ and so on ad infinitum, are hurled at the public everywhere. Surely not all products of the same class can be the best or the finest.”
Daniel Starch, Principles of Advertising, 1923.

:)))))))) ja, bo.
najlepša hvala.

Online customer support services are conscious of their job and according to write my essay australia research the average response time to respond to a request is 10 hours. I love this marketing research and they always give a quick response.

I am read about it already and reached that it is very necessary to manage everything at a time. You can search https://downloadtimecalculator.org/ for easy way to calculate your time.

New Report

Close